Thursday, October 13, 2011

Upcoming Golf Plans (October 2011)


“Mach” Themed Golfing:

            The golf season is slowly winding down here in Scotland. The days are shortening and the temperatures are dropping. As a sendoff to the 2011 season, I will be travelling in early November out towards the western islands of Scotland. I will be playing cold weather golf with my friend Matt (my golfing buddy on the Gauntlet). We’ll be playing Machrihanish (#93 in the World), Machrihanish Dunes, Machrie Links, and for an odd one out, Dunaverty Golf Club. In addition to playing these golf courses, we are going to meet friends to do a small distillery tour. Laphroaig, Ardbeg, and Bowmore are all on the visiting list among a few other smaller names. I will be writing up all the courses for the blog once they are played in early November!

Upcoming posts:

            I have been holding off on write-ups for a number of courses. Kingsbarns and Musselburgh Old Links are both examples. I will be posting write-ups for the courses once I revisit them and take more pictures. This shouldn’t take long. I have played Kingsbarns a number of times, but haven’t taken the big camera on any of the rounds. I will be playing it again November 2nd and a post will follow the round.
Picture of 12th at Kingsbarns on a previous round
18th Green at Kingsbarns on previous round

Dinner with D. Johnson:
     On an note unrelated to golf courses, St Andrews recently played host to the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship. On the Wednesday before the tournament kicked off, I was fortunate enough to have dinner with Dustin Johnson. To top things off, Rory McIlroy and his father paid us a visit during the meal. It was golfer’s dream being able to discuss golf with one of the PGA tour’s biggest stars. I had been lucky enough to meet Dustin Johnson once previously while I was marshaling at the Open Championship at Royal St Georges (pictured below). Having dinner and drinks with Johnson cemented his place as one of my favorite golfers. Hopefully he’ll be able to break through and get a victory at one of the majors in the coming season!
Meeting D. Johnson in Sandwich, Kent
        

No comments:

Post a Comment